Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

The flu bug

I haven't always been a fan of taking breaks on the basis of health circumstances, but I think I can let this one go. I've been taken aback by the virus that's been going around lately due to the fluctuating weather conditions and flurry of activity as the end of the year approaches, and am currently resting at home. I'm acutely aware that there's plenty of deadlines that need to be accommodated, but when the flu bug gets you - IT GETS YOU. Fortunately, I'm not as helpless as I was yesterday evening when I was down with conjunctivitis, flu, sore throat and mild body aches. As of now, only my throat is proving to be an absolute nuisance but I think I can take not being able to sing for the next couple of days than having to deal with a swollen eye in that same timeframe.

Earnestly, I think this unplanned hiatus is a blessing in disguise. I don't recall the last time I ever properly sat down on a decent enough chair and decently enough reflected on the battles I daily fought while allowing my mental wounds to heal. It's always been about getting something done, or spending time with people before they officially drift out of friendship and love, or even simply making sure not a second goes wasted in the day. Time and time again, I've unconsciously put everything else first and "I" just haven't made it into my own list of priorities yet. The supposition that work and loved ones are above all has overwhelmed me and the phrase "You can rest when you're dead" seems a rather legitimate motto to abide by as of late. Simply put, the notion of borrowed time permeates the very recesses of my mind, disallowing me from ever contemplating rest as a viable option. I guess all of this somewhat snowballed into one and sent me knocked off course for a bit.

And so the question arises - how have I fared recently? Physical maladies aside, I am quite well in most endeavors. The academic load never seems to decline as the pace has quickened lately, but I have been matching it rather well. As for CF and church, the end is speedily approaching with the occurrence of the CF picnic for the former and GY Camp in the latter. There's been a lot of proposals due and fundraising activities have been underway in the past few weeks, but I think it's safe to say that all activity has been effective in manner. Moreover, contributing to the fundraising has enabled me to bond with some of the youth leaders I haven't been speaking to in a while. Their constant encouragement has brought me back to cell again, which has inevitably expanded in my absence. There are so many newcomers lately that I have begun to lost track, but I praise God that His work continues to be done even in the midst of trial and tribulation.

I never imagined cell would have evolved into such a vibrant entity since the departure of key people who made cell what it was, but God is ever faithful by ushering in young blood whom I hope will someday carry on this legacy just as well. Similarly, time has seen me become the youth leader I signed up to be as I made difficult decisions with the intention of obeying and honoring God, and I've found myself relating to the younger and new attendees of cell as I share my testimony on how God has been faithful in upholding me throughout life in trying times. These little things are what reaffirm my faith and they remind me that I do not carry on in vain, but that a seed has been planted in the lives of others.

I wish I could stay here for as long as I want to and continue sharing with you the goodness of God and the curiosities that have struck my feeble mind, but I must rest. These pills are making me drowsy, and I need to harness enough energy to finish my assignments later in the day. Until I recover, you will just have to be satisfied with this brief account.

I must say this, though. If you've stuck with me since the very beginning you discovered this blog and have kept on reading, even in the midst of hiatus and in the midst of dreary, depressing posts, I thank you. I thank you that you've been faithful. I do not thank you for prying into my life and granting me attention - no, that is not my intention. But instead, I am grateful that every word has been read, that every photo has been savored visually and that every fiber of my soul that emanates through my work has acquainted itself with you. Writing is a passion. It connects my soul to yours, and yours to mine. There's really more to it than just words, it's the communing between two eager, anticipating souls.

So thank you for sticking with me through it all. Someday when I do publish my own books or write about the things that I feel and care for, I will look back and remember all of you. Know this, I will never forget my first batch of readers. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment