Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

On driving

I feel terrible. I'll be direct, I actually do.

I arrived home about half an hour ago, after spending an hour trying to lead two cars, containing my friends from campus who came all the way from Subang to 1 Utama for the sake of my convenience, so we could all chill at my place after watching Fast 6 this evening.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Their cars got lost on the way into TTDI and by the time I found them, it was already so late that everyone either had to be home due to parental concern or they just didn't feel up to it after the entire rigmarole. Nevertheless, tonight's endeavor has left me in an emotional state, because I feel absolutely horrible that I made them endure all that trouble for nothing. Also, the fact that I wasn't very clear when I relayed the directions to my house, as well as my constant cussing as I got tired of having to repeat myself over and over while simultaneously steering the vehicle as well as keep an eye out for other vehicles wasn't very pleasant either.

I still find it hard to believe that I broke each and every road rule I was taught all in one night. I ran a few red lights, communicated using the cellphone while on the road, made an illegal U-turn, inadequately switched lanes, failed to slow down at certain bumps and stopped in the middle of the road while there was another car waiting behind me. I won't be surprised if I receive a couple of summons soon. Sigh.

I guess all I can do now is pray and get some sleep. I can only hope that my prayer will suffice is subduing the mental process of trying to comprehend today's misfortunes, for this will lead to my having a peculiar nightmare and I can promise you that it is earnestly the last thing I need tonight.

Nick, if you read this, know that I'm terribly sorry for all the trouble I put you through as my first ever car pool passenger. I appreciate all that you've done and I thank you for being ever so patient with someone as unruly and incompetent as me. Also, I'm glad it was you who had the "privilege" of sitting next to me and answering all those calls on my behalf as well as for laughing it out in such times of distress.

To conclude, there are 4 things I've learned tonight :

1. Never make last minute plans to enter unfamiliar territory, be it unfamiliar ground for oneself or for others especially AT NIGHT.
2. Do not break all the road rules just because there aren't any vehicles at night. What if, just WHAT IF it was recorded? Sigh, I'm still anticipating my first summon :(
3. Driving alone makes me really sad, now that I've already had the pleasure of taking on passengers.
4. I am actually a better driver than I'd initially anticipated. Not because I broke all the rules, but because I could still drive under pressure.

That is all. Goodnight.

2 comments: