Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Nuggets: Self-esteem?

"Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts. It means freedom from thinking about yourself at all." 
- William Temple, Church of England bishop (1881-1944)

The only way we will ever truly learn to love ourselves is to first deny ourselves, then take up His cross and follow Him daily (Luke 9:23). After all, holding onto individualism and self-esteem is not substantial, we must give it up in order to experience the abundance of a life lived in freedom from the selfish constructs of this world. There is this huge propensity to fall within one extreme or the other, but being grounded in His word, the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the body in which we have been placed truly helps us overcome.

Yes, what a short post. I just needed to remind myself that it's not about me, and that my thoughts about how others treat me or how they see me should not matter at all.

He must become greater, I must become less.

No comments:

Post a Comment