Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Blogroll : The Clothes Horse

I promised I would post up something other than my personal musings on my faith; so here it is!

While most people would like to think that the persona I embody is one of intellect and of religiosity, I certainly beg to differ. Mind you, I do not spend hours on end reading books of all genres, having my nose buried in them till satisfaction come. I may have provided such an impression to most people on account of how seriously I take my academic standing and the pennings of my experiences in my walk with God, but honestly, I spend about 95 per cent of my time on an average day being engrossed in this seemingly endless magical realm known to all as the World Wide Web.

To rebut your allegations that I am the "smart" kind (in which smart refers to book smart), here is a list of a few of my favorite blogs which I consistently visit when I am not in haste trying to get work done or running about in ministry. I have always had a penchant for the visual arts in one form or another and I find joy in expanding my interest in the matter by browsing through relevant online materials. I especially enjoy exploring fashion blogs given that I've always marvelled at how clothes are in itself wearable art and the flexibility of matchmaking between different pieces to form a clothing ensemble. In fact, I do sometimes take heed of these trends and seek to subtly incorporate them into my college ensembles (although more often than not I fail miserably as a result of insufficient financing, heh). Apart from that, I also follow food blogs (well, just one actually). There really is nothing like staying up late at night, casually scrolling past pictures of delectable food in sweet surrender to your hunger pangs. Really.

Thus, in the next couple of days, I will be sharing some of my favorite blogs with you, beginning with a fashion blog I avidly follow for today's post.

1. The Clothes Horse



I don't quite remember how I stumbled across this blog, but I'm pretty sure I came across it many years ago back in my high school days when I was still relatively new to blogging. I wasn't always consistent in my following of this blog; for a couple of years I avidly tracked every blog and then I went on a blogosphere hiatus for a bit before I recently went back to reading fashion blogs, in which this was one of them.

The Clothes Horse is a personal style blog that features daily outfit posts, magazine editorials, movie reviews, illustrations, and other inspirational misc, as advocated by blog owner, Rebecca. While many other fashion blogs I've come across tend to pick up on runway trends and are very quick to waver according to season, The Clothes Horse has remained largely untainted in this area. Perhaps this can be accredited to Rebecca's sense of style, which is very much inclined towards more vintage prints and pieces, although lately she's begun to step out in more contemporary ensembles.


    



Photos by The Clothes Horse

Nevertheless, Rebecca firmly believes that fashion isn't something to be critiqued, but is reliant on the differing standpoints of each unique individual in their outfit choices and overall personal style. It is this philosophy that perhaps drew me to The Clothes Horse and has gained my loyal following since. Apart from her daily outfit posts, her blog also celebrates other fashion icons (be they known or relatively unknown on the runway) for their individuality in their fashion ensembles, as well as their boldness in showcasing them publicly. I also enjoy feasting with my eyes on posts on illustrations, vintage photography spreads, as well as vintage film reviews which has somewhat shaped the way I view art as much as it serves as an inspiration for Rebecca's personal style.




I do admit that the blog has changed quite a bit along the years (read history HERE), with Rebecca donning new hairstyles every year or so (I especially liked the time she had blue hair) and improvement in the area of photography, which perhaps can be attributed not only to Rebecca's increasing expertise in taking self-timer shots but the presence of her Irish boyfriend Thomas, who happens to be a photographer himself. Rebecca's even gone so far as to begin her first zine and start a mini online business of selling jewellery she hand paints herself. Personally, I'm looking forward to see what this blog will become in the coming years, and I silently yearn to meet her in person someday when I am in the States. Impossible, it seems, but that won't keep me from dreaming :)


__________________________


I initially intended for my favorites to encompass one post, but considering the bandwidth I took up in describing just one blog, I figured I'll continue the series with two more blogs I follow in another post or two.

I hope you enjoyed reading this, ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment