Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Love is

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
1 Corinthians 13 : 4-7

Vivian is patient, Vivian is kind. Vivian does not envy, does not boast and is not proud. Vivian does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. Vivian does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Vivian always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I first came across this method of adequately replacing the term "love" in this passage with one's name at a high school Christian fellowship camp two years ago. I managed to perform this declaration a couple of times after that, but I somewhat never got around to truly comprehending what the purpose of this exercise was. However, as I'm pondering upon today's events and analyzing the variables that resulted in the fallacies that occurred earlier in the day, I'm beginning to receive some enlightenment regarding the matter. I am undeniably a work in progress and until I am able to achieve all the virtues listed in the bible passage above, I will always remain a diamond in the rough. Therefore, the declaration I have derived from this scripture must continually be exercised in order to see His work come into completion.

I have to admit, it has been quite a challenging week with all the assignments, tests and excursions I've had to participate in. Furthermore, the fact that I'm keen to carry out 21 days of fasting has taken quite a toll on me physically as I've been minutely dehydrated and my sore throat is returning. I've been performing the one-meal fast for dinner every day since last Sunday and I must say, I have been making some rather detrimental choices when it comes to what to have for lunch, as I'm someone who fancies spicy and fried food. Having already begun experiencing the adverse effects of my cumbersome diet, I've pledged not to consume large amounts of spicy and fried food for the next two weeks. I earnestly hope my throat will get better as I perform what I have pledged.

On a spiritual note, I've been able to pray and worship God diligently on almost all occasions since I'm completely relying on His strength to help me remain focused on my work and assignments in the midst of fatigue. It is really by His grace that I've been able to execute a week of prayer and fasting and I'm really looking forward to growing spiritually each and every day as I adjourn into the next two weeks up until Good Friday. There were days (or nights) when I just felt like giving up and returning back to my stagnant and egotistical self, presuming I would progress no further, but I'm glad God put me up to the challenge and I'm determined to pull through. After all, man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Vivian always perseveres. I will pull through this, despite how unwelcome the circumstances appear to be. I will grow as a result of overcoming these atrocities and I will come out stronger after every obstacle.

Someday my love, we will have reach full completion in God's work in us. Until then, we'll have to learn to embrace our respective imperfections and focus on the goodness that is within us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment