Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Blackout

Honestly, I can't say I wasn't expecting it. As much as I'd like to think that change can occur overnight, it simply can't.

However, I'm not here to talk about what happened last night because I'm sure most of you have already had your fair share of politics. Instead, I'm here to remind myself (yes, me and not you) as to why I shouldn't be disheartened by last night's outcome and work towards a goal worth achieving individually and for the sake of the nation.

Yes, it was disappointing to see the majority of Sarawak fall into the clutches of the current government. I'd always thought they'd never fall back to the government, given that they're after all, still a Christian nation and there were several prophecies that some of the Christian politicians in East Malaysia would adhere to their rightful place as a Malaysian leader, on behalf of the opposition. I'd took the entire ordeal wholeheartedly, believing that this year would be different in the sense that there would be a complete change of government, for the betterment of the people. So I guess you could imagine my disappointment when I witnessed the government overtaking the opposition in terms of parliamentary seats. Well, even if you couldn't imagine it, you could totally see it through my Facebook status updates and shares, as well as my umpteen political retweets.

But no, I refuse to see this defeat as defeat any longer. If anything, the opposition made immense progress, bagging even more parliamentary seats than they did in the previous GE and they did it with integrity and utter honesty. Sure, there's bound to be a few cases of dissatisfaction and provocation pioneered by those supporting the opposition, but overall they won their seats fair and square. They did not engage themselves in unclean tactics such as vote recounts or respond with racist comments - everything they did was out of passion and genuine love for the rakyat and for Malaysia.

As for my distaste of the majority of Sarawak's political decision, I've come to realize that not everyone there is well aware of the political situation in Malaysia. After I'd had enough of the entire political ordeal last night, I went to bed and vented out in tears to God, questioning why things occurred as they did. And that was when it struck me that the majority seats won by government belonged to rural areas. While we've certainly come a long way economically in Malaysia, it isn't to say that we've completely wiped out poverty and social ignorance in the nation. The fact remains that our eastern counterpart aren't granted the privileges we possess in urban areas. Therefore, if anything, the fault is on our behalf, for we have failed to see the political situation in Sarawak and provide enlightenment to an ignorant community who has yet to understand the ulterior motives of our current government. This is truly a call for us, be it a spiritual or mental conviction to reach out to these Malaysians and uphold them rightfully as owners of this land.

That isn't to say that the government played a fair game though. I still cannot comprehend how any political organization can retain a clear conscience after advocating corruption and cronyism for more than half a century. And while that's prevalent, their overtly redundant forms of campaigning is a major insult to theories of reverse psychology and their out-in-the-open blackout tactics appalls me to the very fiber of my being.

But vengeance is not my call. For it is written in Romans 12:19, "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord." The evil will get their dues in time as God sees fit. Also, everything happens for a reason. While all this pandemonium might appear to work in the favor of the principalities of darkness, good will inevitably prevail in the end for God is in control of everything and has an ultimate and perfect plan and purpose for this nation.

Four or five years from now, I will have the ability to determine the course of Malaysia with my one vote and I solemnly vow to use it wisely. As much as the prospect of migrating to a first world nation entices me, my heart still calls me to remain in Malaysia. And as peculiar as it sounds to me, I want my children, grand children and great grand children to live in Malaysia, a democratic and first world nation with a quality education, a fair and just governance as well as economic sustainability. I don't want them to live through the social and economic hardships my generation and the generations before had to endure; I want them to experience true freedom and live a fruitful, godly life. And this is precisely what I will fight for - the betterment of the future generation.

Mungkin kali ini kami tidak berjaya dalam pilihan raya umum yang ke-13. Namun, hasrat kami semua sebagai rakyat Malaysia untuk mencetus perubahan dari segi politik, sosial serta ekonomi dalam negara ini akan terus diuaruarkan sehingga aspirasi rakyat direalisasikan. Sehingga hari itu tiba, maklumlah, kami akan terus berjuang demi memartabatkan negara dan membela keadilan serta kesejahteraan rakyat bersama! Ingatlah seruan kami, kami tidak akan berhenti atau memungkiri janji kami kepada tanah air yang tercinta ini. Bangkitlah semua! UBAH, walau bagi kali yang seterusnya!

My level of eloquence in BM has deteriorated since I left high school, but that won't stop me from expressing how I feel in the nation's first language (although sarcasm is my first language and English my second, really).

So there, my first ever patriotic post. Not sure how this will fare with my potential employers in my writing career, but screw it.

I'm Malaysian and I'm proud to be (in spite of all the havoc our prime minister has clearly perpetrated). Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment