Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Good, better, best

Before I begin, I feel that there is a need to apologize to my invisible/future readers for the lack of updates in the past few days. I am truly sorry for failing to post consistently of my daily undertakings for I have been pretty taken aback by the amount of sugar and lemons life has been throwing at me that I deemed it necessary to take a break and succumb to some lemonade. Anyhow, I will do my best to compensate in this post everything that I have failed to take account of in the past few days.

So, what have I been doing in the past 6 days that has put me off writing?

It's simple - MORE WRITING. A few days ago, I managed to coin and put together a short story out of nothing and I must say that I am pretty happy with the outcome. I wanted to write something inclined towards science fiction, but I ended up crafting a short laced with psychology as well and I used two different POVs - first person and third person omniscient. Honestly, when I first started out writing the short, I didn't think I was ever going to complete it at all since all the shorts I have written in the past have never been finished, so I'm quite proud of myself to have actually put in effort and pulled this off.

I really wanted a fruitful exercise that could help me apply and translate all that I've learned in the past two months of delving into countless science fiction works and literature and I decided writing my own original short would prove the success of my literary undertakings. So I spent about 3 to 4 days crafting the plot, writing and proofreading the entire document until I was satisfied with my work. I have to say though, that the uncanny and yet fascinating fact about the plot was that I actually pieced together notions I acquired in the shower, while jogging around the neighborhood and while listening to loops of The Temper Trap remixes in order to come up with something substantial to be written as a short.

It's still puzzles me how the strangest and most ingenious of ideas come from the most unexpected places, but hey, I'm not complaining.

So to compensate for my absence, I have provided you with the liberty to read the short story on Google Docs under the link below. I would love to hear some feedback, both positive and negative. So far I've been receiving good views of this piece, but I'm pretty sure I still have a lot to work on since I'm still an amateur at it. So please by all means, do offer any form of constructive criticism while remaining tact simultaneously. Thanks in advance :)


Other than writing, I've been rushing to complete a number of things I have set my mind to do before college begins. Since I can't remember the exact sequence of events, I'll be including a few photos to help convey the occurrences that have made my past week (and earlier) memorable.

11 January 2013



Yes, my interview with Dia Frampton! While I didn't get a chance to attend her live showcase, getting an opportunity to see her up, close and personal was already such a blessing. Never had I thought I would have a chance to do some real journalistic work, and yet there I was in that room in Universal Music Malaysia speaking to her in person via interview!

I've always loved Dia's music since her music is inclined towards indie and alternative music, but being able to discover the individual behind the voice I've been listening to musically on iTunes was a different experience altogether. Dia's really sweet and friendly in real life and she sounds just as mesmerizing in speech just as she is in song. I'm really glad that I had the chance to meet her and I really thank God for answering my prayers :)

12 January 2013



I cooked a complete dinner for my family for the first time last Saturday. I know the photos don't look appealing but I assure you it is merely a photographic injustice to the real thing. And mind you, I'm not a culinary art graduate, so I know nothing about presentation. I made aglio olio e pepperoncino with bacon bits, sauteed mushrooms and minestrone soup. I plan to cook an Asian dinner the next time, if I find time to do so. But overall, this was a success flavor-wise.

15 January 2013


Thanks to my sister, my mum sponsored me a one day pass to go watch the Golden Disk Awards on the 15th! I may not be a hardcore K-pop fan, but the prospect was enough to get my inner fan girl squealing with excitement. I had the chance to watch some great acts such as Super Junior, Infinite, SHINee, KARA, 4minute, Teen Top, B2ST and more perform live. It was like watching Music Bank on KBS, except in real life albeit a lot further than I had expected. But hey, I got to watch them live and managed to grab some pretty cool merchandise as well!

16 January 2013

My third driving lesson commenced on the 16th. While it was probably one of the most strenuous and taxing lesson I've had by far, I'm quite glad I now have better control over my steering and can change gears much smoother now. I have to stop myself from being too absent minded though, because I have this overwhelming propensity to get distracted when I'm driving. But overall, it was a good lesson and I managed to uh, "bond" with my instructor. Sort of, anyway. No photos for this for obvious reasons.

18 January 2013


So I tried making macarons after doing a little research and pre-baking troubleshooting, but as you can see from the photo above, they obviously failed. The macarons were meant for the people in cell but since they failed, I couldn't very well bring them there. Fortunately someone else brought creme brulee so I didn't feel too guilty.

The photo above was an Instagram taken by my friend whom I gave some of the macarons to, since he said he didn't care much for presentation. So I offered some to him and I believe his exactly words were "They taste heavenly!". Honestly, I think that's a really exaggerated fact, but oh well, no one's complaining, so I shouldn't bother :P I plan to try a different recipe though when I make it the next time so I do hope that will become a successful venture.

19 January 2013


Right, another Instagram photo. I stole this from Kah Wern's Instagram. Meh.

Anyway, my first laser tag game at Galactic Laser in Mid Valley! It was a pretty awesome experience albeit a short one. I really had a lot of fun and very fortunately, I did not come last and got the lowest percentage of hits throughout the game. One thing's certain - I'm definitely going back for more!

After we were done with laser tag, I had to head back to church for worship practice. I honestly have to say that for the first worship practice of the year, it was a really good one. There was definitely more emphasis on the spiritual aspects of worship rather than the technical stuff. It was really refreshing to see some change in the way worship is being handled and I am definitely looking forward to work towards improving my worship life as well as to practice harder and experiment with more complex chords and melodies.

This year is not a year for backing down and giving up - it's a year of growth, realignment and reassignment.

So yeah, that's pretty much it for my week. I've decided not to discuss the misfortunes because honestly, I've decided that it's just unnecessary to recall all the bad things that have happened in the course of my life. It seems really tangible now, but I know that in time, I probably won't be as emotional as I am now.

On a lighter note, college starts tomorrow! I'm not sure what to expect, but I am pretty psyched about being able to take a plunge into a new environment.

Alright, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment